Blasting Operations are one of the most hazardous roles within a quarrying environment. The Quarry Regulations (1999) recognised this and MPQC have worked with the industry to devlop a robust system that enables individuals to gain the essential knowledge and skills resulting in a nationally recognised qualification, as well as providing access to appropriate CPD provision.
Blasting Audits and Examinations
Prior to the Blasting Operations Card expiry date, an on-site Blasting Audit must be conducted to demonstrate ongoing professional competence. The audit is conducted by one of MPQC’s approved Blasting Auditors
Examinations are provided by MPQC and training is available via the EPC:
Resources – Blasting Booklets
We offer a set of 6 booklets that are designed to provide Operators with essential guidance. The full set is available for £50 by contacting the below number or email address.
MPQC Blasting Competency Scheme gains CSCS accreditation. The move to card schemes carrying the CSCS logo was first introduced in January 2015 and trade associations, contractors, clients and Government began to promote such schemes carrying the CSCS logo. There are now more than 25 card schemes approved by CSCS.
This means that an application can be made to MPQC for the CSCS logo to be added to new and existing blasting and drilling cards. For the Blasting and Drilling Operator, this means that their MPQC qualifications have the construction industry stamp of approval and will be recognised within the industry.
- Blast Design
- Explosive Supervision
- Bulk Explosive Truck Operations
MPQC will continue to be regularly audited against the CSCS standards in order to maintain recognition.
Blasting and Drilling competency cards can only be issued on the attainment of one of the Vocational Qualifications listed below, and the applicant must also hold a current CSCS or MPQC Health and Safety test certificate:
- 603/1030/7 MPQC Level 5 Diploma in Shotfiring Supervision for the Extractive and Minerals Processing Industries
- 603/1026/1 MPQC Level 2 Award in Explosives Storage for the extractive and Minerals Processing Industries
- 603/1027/3 MPQC Level 3 Certificate in Face Profiling for the Extractive and Minerals Processing Industries
- 603/1028/5 MPQC Level 3 Certificate in Bulk Explosive Truck Operations
- 603/1031/5 MPQC Level 5 Certificate in Blast Design for the Extractive and Minerals Processing Industries
- 603/1029/7 MPQC Level 3 Diploma in Shotfiring for the Extractive and Minerals Processing Industries
- 603/1186/1 Level 2 Diploma in Drilling Operations
The Blasting and Drilling cards are current for a period of five years from the date issued. To maintain competency the candidate should undergo an MPQC Blasting/Drilling audit and health and safety test. This will allow the issue of a replacement card which will last a further five years.